It’s been a busy month with Olympic stitching and some framing and finishing – so we start with the Olympics this gave me much stitching time as we fast forwarded through the TIVO recording of the NBC coverage. I don’t pay for television so there wasn’t much we got to watch. Anyway, the first thing I worked on was a chatelaine for an exchange –
- Chatelaine based on a picture I saw of an antique chatelaine on the internet.
Here is the back of the Chatelaine for the exchange
Part of the Chatelaine is the Assisi Scissor Case we got in our July EGA meeting. This is designed by Alice Rathofer.
She used her favorite calligraphy alphabet to create the alphabet for stitching the names on the piece. There are instructions for two types of scissor case with this pattern. The slip case which I used here and a scissor pocket.
You can reach Alice at our EGA chapter page – http://egasegolilychapter.org/
But wait that’s not all during the 2012 Olympics, I worked on my final ornament from the 2002 Winter Olympics. I had originally stitched 4 ornament because that is all the charms I had but when I went to frame them I realized that if I had 5 ornaments I could frame them in circles the color of the Olympic rings and hang them so they look like the rings.
So after finishing that for my Olympic stitching I figured I should go back to my WIPocalypse list and work on my Spring TW Carousel Horse. I put about two hours in on it when I looked on my list and realized I was supposed to be working on my Dragon Dreams Dragon Doorstop.
I think working on Winter ran over and I managed to get my months mixed up – however since I did get some time on both, I can start my Summer TW Carousel Horse.
But that is not all that happened this month. I got my TW Winter Carousel Horse back from Edgeline Framing along with the Fairy Tale Sampler which my older son claimed as his.
TW Winter Carousel Horse
Corner detail of the TW Carousel Horse frame – it’s designed so I can use the same frame for all 4 horses
C’s Fairy Tale Sampler
But after getting those back so I could take them to the State Fair it hit me that I didn’t have a Needlepoint piece to put in the Fair so I started looking for something I could stitch together quickly. And I found an ornament in the Sept/October issue of JustCross Stitch by Plum Pudding Needlearts. However when I pulled a piece of canvas and the fibers I didn’t really like the design so much so I started putting together a piece of my own based on the ornament I had seen in the magazine. This is what it ended up looking like –
I learned that I cannot call this an original design, and it’s not an adaptation since it was inspired by a stitched piece and not a different style of art. That makes it a derivative work. So this is my derivative of Plum Pudding Needleart’s Witch’s Pantry.
I didn’t get a picture of the frame I put it in before dropping it off at the fair. But I did take pictures of the other pieces I framed this week.
I’m not too happy with the framing of Black Swan’s Fire and Ice since it doesn’t look like I got it quite even. And I also got two ornaments finished as well.
I made these because they reminded me of the ornaments I’ve seen on my aunt’s Finnish style tree.
But that’s not all I did this month…
My son is moving to the Philippines in October and he wanted to have a quilt to take with him so here is the start of the Safari quilt that he kitted up when he was in junior high.
This is what the blocks look like and here are the pieces I’m still working on –
It’s been a busy month. My completed projects list for this year is now at 24 items and my Rotation list is down to 64 items. If I finish up the ornaments I started earlier this week, then I could be under 60 items on the full list by the end of the long weekend. And we’re back on track with my original WIPocalypse list so I’ll be putting TW’s Summer Carousel Horse up on the stand.