So I went back and found my project from November of 2009 since the post from earlier this weekend. It turns out that it may make more than 5 blocks. Then again, I may have used 2 fat quarters, I’m not sure.
So for kicks and giggles I finished them up to see how many blocks I really had.
I have 10 blocks 5 of each color. The next step is to make sure they are all the same size.
So I measure all to find the smallest block and after I evened that one up (making it square to the shortest edge. I cut the other blocks down to that size in this case 6-1/4″
Then because I’ve been told that quilts with even numbered blocks aren’t really aesthetically pleasing (although my favorite quilt has 24 blocks). I added some blocks of solid fabric to place between the pieced blocks.
Then comes the fun part, layout.
I cut 5 more of the solid blocks (used 2 fat quarters) for this layout.
The next step is sewing the blocks together. The nice thing about this layout is there’s no worrying about seams laying right, every seam on the block is going against a blank block. I sew the blocks to make rows.
So this seemed a bit small, great for a crib size or wall hanging though so I added some borders. First I added a 2 inch stop border.
Then I added a 6-1/2″ outer border.
After adding the side borders, I evened out the edge before putting on the bottom border. I like having an even edge to work with.
And we have a finished quilt. If I remember right, it took 4 fat quarters for the 9 patch blocks, 2 fat quarters for the solid blocks, 1 fat quarter for the stop border and 4 fat quarters for the outer border. So at 11 fat quarters which I got on sale for $1.50, that’s not a bad price for a throw quilt.